Monday 21 November 2011

Cascade 200 Filter Review

As I have mentioned on the weekend I bought a new filter to replace my old one which conked out. I am very pleased with what I bought, the Cascade 200 filter recommended by my local aquarium shop. The 200 rates well across the board on removing particles from the water, removing ammonia and nitrite, capacity, oxygen exchange, ease of use, quietness and price. On removing particles from the water. I replanted some plants on the weekend and on full flow the water was clear in the tank (29 gallon) in minutes. When I recently checked Nitrite and Nitrate levels to get a baseline before Co2 nitrite was at 0 and nitrate was at a low 20 and this was at lowest flow setting. Unfortunately I do not have equipment to check ammonia. The 200 is rated to filter 50 gallons and 185 gallons per hour it is powerful for it's size. Some may be wondering what i mean by oxygen exchange. The cascade 200 has a fourth part in it's sump style filtration system. a system of bending channels at the output space maximize water contact time and turbulence causing for a larger exchange of oxygen which is nice if you don't have an air rock because of Co2 system. The system was very easy to use and the impeller started in seconds. The filters noise is hardly noticeable, one of the quietest I've seen. On the matter of price it is decent at $40.00. it also comes with a three year warranty. One draw back is you will have too pay ten dollars for a pack of cartridges every few months, a little more pricey then some, but not the most expensive out there for sure. All and all and excellent filter series that I would recommend for anyone. Rating 9.5/10

2 comments: